Thursday, March 18, 2021

What’s different

I haven’t experienced this much freedom

since college graduation .

I loll on my bed in my tiny apartment in the new town 

during a break from work 

gazing contentedly out the spring-open window at

distant snowcapped mountains

as the cool spring breeze wraps around my face and 

I remember what I thought was 

freedom, 

mere days of freedom at graduation 

before I moved to the coast to 

live with my first husband...

And with all the commitments and trappings 

that came after that, 

like kids and mortgages and pets and jobs

endings and deaths and health challenges.

Many days in that time, nay, weeks and months and years,  

that felt more like jail or torture or both.

But now, 

I now have the mental health to go with the sense of freedom, 

the sanity and clarity and peace that 

I really knew nothing about 

in my 20s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!