Thursday, September 1, 2011

Color of change
















By mid-August
my long steep driveway is lined
with black-eyed Susans, waving
brightly before they once again
turn towards the sun in the east.
Their sisters grow all over my property,
enfolding the motorcycle shed in
sunniness, guarding the pump at the
irrigation pond, tantalizing the mules
by growing just outside of their neck
reach through the bars of their pen.
By early September, the yellow is becoming
dusty and wilted, bowing to
burgeoning colors of
autumn.

(Posted for Thursday Think Tank # 64, "Sunflowers", 9/1/11)

3 comments:

  1. I loved your take, "the yellow is becoming
    dusty and wilted, bowing to
    burgeoning colors of autumn"
    such wonderful imagery. I also loved visualizing the mules trying to reach the golden glory~

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, isn't it? I hate to see the beautiful bright sunflowers turn brown...heralding the impending death of another summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..."their sisters grow all over my poverty"....love that line...this is wonderfully written!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!