Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Inner kids

I'm tired.
I want to go to the park and swing!
Did you steal my crayons?
Quit humming that disco song,
I am so over it.
I'm hungry and I want donuts!
...Kids, we need to work today.
I am going to make you so depressed
you will stay home and eat and sleep -
just see if I don't.
When was the last time we had sex?
I want donuts! I want donuts!
I don't like any of the clothing in our closet.
Did that man yell at us? We are not speaking
to him if all he can do is yell!
...Um, gang, let's negotiate...if you let me work
for a few hours, I promise we'll do something you
all want to do.
Swings!
Donuts!
Sleep!
Dancing to Pure Disco 1, 2, and 3!
I don't suppose sex might fit in here somewhere?
...Well, the best I can do today is buy donuts,
go swinging at the park, and then home for a nap
after listening to some disco. Okay?
(peace-filled silence)

Okay, then...off to work!

Today's prompt from Poetic Asides, 7/6/11: write a poem from the perspective of a bunch of people. My Inner Kids immediately clamored for the pen!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!