Saturday, June 3, 2023

Just because (an epiphany)

Just because
you are mentally ill
doesn’t mean that 
you could not possibly have 
bad intentions.

Just because you say nice things
to my face
very sincerely 
(BUT this is actually 
gaslighting!)
doesn't mean 
you weren’t actively 
undermining me in 
every other area.

I kind of knew
all along
(dang that ever present 
self doubt)
but in my eagerness 
to please
to fit in and
to be of service,
I dismissed 
my misgivings,
my very 
(always dead-on accurate)
intuition
about you.

But now NOW 
I see clearly 
see it, 
SEE you.

As I think back over 
the last almost two years,
I realize
that I have been 
working with 
the most cunning and 
polished
narcissist I have 
ever met
and because 
I did not recognize you,
in the fog of your
blandishments and 
bullshit and 
oh-so-cunning 
manipulations, 
you almost destroyed me.

But,
like all of your kind,
you cannot sustain either
the destructive behavior
and false assurances,
the hoovering of other’s
tears and smiles,
rage and laughter
(all often generated 
by you),
while you smugly
sit back 
with your sycophants 
and feed and
grow fat(ter) on
other’s fear and 
misfortune and
confusion.
and trusting lack of
self awareness.

And so you leave 
to find 
new victims,
new energy sources,
new flying monkeys,
before you are 
completely unmasked 
here, 
though you would,
of course,
heatedly deny 
(and! attack! me!)
any and all assessments 
and conclusions
spoken aloud by me,
though you know 
that I know
and I know that 
you know that 
I know
now.

And the saddest part is
that I will not be
the only one
gratefully healing in
the relieved void
you will leave
in your self-righteous 
delusional
wake
though most will 
never understand
what hit us.

“Knowing the Narcissist”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!