Saturday, May 27, 2023

Don’t tell…

I’ve often been asked
why I did not report
the times I was
sexually assaulted
as an adult.

Until now,
I had only known that
my silence was because of fear.
But I didn’t really know 
the source of that fear
until today.

Watching a show on women 
accused of 
the false reporting of
sexual assault and 
subsequently being imprisoned.

(Imagine being a rape victim
imprisoned for reporting your rapist!!)
 

I realized
at this moment 
that
I never reported
what happened to me as an adult 
because 
I was a child sexually assaulted 
many times, 
as well as physically abused.

And no one ever believed me then
either
when I told.

My most significant
childhood memory 
is telling my mother
(when I was sixteen)
that her father was molesting us,
my five sisters and me.

I thought she was going to kill me
I can still see her enraged face, 
her hands ripping the hair out of my head,
screaming at me because 
I was 
accusing a great man
of such heinous acts.

I was a lying whore, 
in her estimation
for my imprudent words.

An interesting assessment
as I was still technically
a virgin
at that point…

(no thanks to her fucker of a father).

The kid me got the message:
don’t  tell 
or 
you’ll be severely punished
or maybe even
die.

The adult me
got the message too.

The adult me
never told 
either
though the world 
did a thorough job of
punishing me
anyway.

(“Victim/Suspect”, 2023, airing on Netflix)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!