Thursday, September 20, 2018

Fall planting

The outside air cools, briskly pressing me

to bring in my indoor plants that

spent the summer being outdoor plants

sort of like a green snowbirding to

life in the backyard.

Every room in the house requires

rearrangement to re-accommodate

the thirty or so incoming residents

at last, they are all in, lounging

on every flat, wide surface

so much bigger, taller, wider, rowdier

always taking so much more space than

when they went outside in the spring

but now they are stressed and

I am stressed

at the sudden movement and relocation

and changes in temperature and light.

Gentle music purls through the rooms as

I sing and talk and murmur to each one

as I remove dead leaves and gently

touch the soil in each pot

checking for moisture and extra 'residents'.

I light candles and distribute

ember-tipped sandwood incense

sticks throughout the house into

selected pots

I make dinner as plants and pups alike

hold their breath, vigilant, hopeful, relaxing

next each friend is carefully watered and welcomed

and we all begin to relax and rebond

as we learn to live together again

in this precious, peaceful home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!