Saturday, November 25, 2017

Time after time

if he was not able or willing to
work things out the first time around
whether that was thirty years ago
or three
what assurance would one have
that the situation would be different
now

how would it be possible to know
for certain

that he has changed
that he is truly willing
that he is sincerely committed

and that

I am not merely an available option
that he is taking another 'run' at
that he is, to put it bluntly,
desperate enough
to 'give' me another try

(some gift)

or

am I the partner of last resort
because no one new or acceptable
has presented herself or stuck around

I am no longer 18, 21, 25, 38, or 44
nor that naive, desperate, or foolish

it's amazing how the exes start
sniffing around
the moment I become
single
again

really?

do they really believe I have forgotten?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!