Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Church of...gay

Image credit






















Fear is what drives them
the Christians.
Fear of
change
letting go of old beliefs
'permitting' others to be themselves
accepting what might have been
  previously unacceptable
  (and why was it, previously?)
  (why was it EVER?)
loving those who love differently
losing control
losing identity
gaining new self
welcoming
or at least
tolerating
divergent beliefs
that are not aberrant
despite what 'they' might say
is supposed to be (normal.)

Did they even remember
that
gay is also
happy
merry
care-free?
That's the original meaning of
the word
not
depraved.

I am not 'gay'
but my heart is inclusive
to those who have found love
and exclusive to those who
refuse to allow others
the autonomy of self.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you sooooooo much for this poem. I spent a number of my working years and many, many of my volunteer years working with those who had HIV/AIDS. The gay community to whom I have been close since I was about 15 (I am 68 today) has blessed my life richly!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!