Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Willful blindness

Image credit: redbubble.com














There are so many ways of not seeing
especially when one is hurting and
can only behold vengeance as a
solution to ending the pain.
A wise man said, "an eye for an eye
will make the whole world blind".
Perhaps he meant forgiveness and
acceptance were a better way to
preserve vision.
My quest to uncover, understand
and requite my old hurts has blinded
both myself and my targets to
the realities of the present, instead
bogging us down in the obscuring mire
of the past hurled at each other.
I have deliberately ignored, at times,
what is good and special and worthy
in my life out of desire to have my way
and my needs met, no matter what the
cost to self and others, often figuratively
blinding others in revenge
only to have it rebound on me darkly.
Well, I don't know that I can forgive yet,
but perhaps I can quit slinging the mud
into others' eyes.
(Posted for Carry On Tuesday #118, 8/16/11)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!